The Cricketers Arms – Preston

Demolition of The Cricketers Arms was awarded to us by a new client to make way for a new housing development. Opening in 1859 the Public House closed in 2009 and stood derelict ever since. One of it’s first landlords was as Cornelius Coward who played for Lancashire and England before becoming professional. He took over the pub in 1867. His younger brother Frederick Coward was also a professional cricketer with Lancashire and then Preston. He too was landlord of the Cricketers for a short time

The building was constructed in mainly handmade brick with slate pitched roof. Demolition was undertaken using our 30 ton demolition excavator fitted with selector grab processing materials into wood/waste/steel as the job progressed. Once the demolition was complete the floor slabs and foundations where removed along with the old beer cellar using a hydraulic breaker attachment. All the hardcore material was removed off site for recycling.

The site was located in a residential area just off one of the busy main roads in Preston Town centre which meant extra careful planning was required with site deliveries avoiding traffic delays in the area. Up to date noise monitoring was carried out on our machines throughout demolition to ensure we didn’t exceed the maximum noise level. The site was demolished and cleared in 10 days at much relief of the local neighbours who was glad to see the building go as it had been an attraction for anti-social behaviour for quite some time.